For those who haven't seen my tweets, this week I'm on special at Woollies. OK, so not ME per se, but this recipe is included in the recipe booklet that is included with the special offer by Lurpak - a special pack with a Lurpak branded loaf tin, 2 x 250g packs of delicious Lurpak unsalted butter and the booklet!
|Lurpak special baking tin offer - at Woolworths. GO NOW!|
Many of you know that I was invited to be a Friend of Lurpak, and part of this was to provide a recipe. The other part was to judge their baking competition - thanks to everyone who entered - you can see some of the amazing creations here and the winners here.
When Lurpak asked me to provide a recipe that could be baked in a loaf tin, I immediately thought of this. I made quite a few varieties of this during #bakedrelief, and it was always a winner!
However the main reason I love this recipe is that gorgeous and hard-to-pass-up combination of dates and pecans. Also because it’s easy to make and takes less than 10 minutes to mix all the ingredients together before throwing it in the oven. It’s perfect for the office morning tea, the 3pm snack, or just to have with a cuppa!
200g dates, chopped
100g brown sugar
60g lightly salted Lurpak butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup boiling water
260g self raising flour, sifted
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 tsp cinnamon
75g pecans, chopped
- Assemble all your ingredients
- Preheat oven to 180c
- Fill the kettle with water and turn it on to boil
- Grease Lurpak baking tin with Lurpak butter and line with greaseproof paper
- Place the dates, brown sugar, Lurpak butter and vanilla in a medium sized mixing bowl
- Pour in the boiling water and stir until the Lurpak butter has completely melted
- Add in the flour, bicarbonate soda and cinnamon and mix together using a wooden spoon - be careful not to over-mix
- Stir the pecans into the mix
- Scrape the mixture into the Lurpak baking tin
|Pre-cooked. I challenge you to resist eating that raw batter. mmmmm|
- Bake for 50-55 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the baking tin for 10 minutes then turn out onto a cake rack and remove the baking paper.
|So, so good.|
- Serve in slices, spread with Lurpak butter. Delicious with a cup of tea!
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. This also freezes really well for up to 3 months - I ALWAYS have one in the freezer for when friends unexpectedly drop in!
Note: The pecans could easily be swapped for walnuts or left out if you don’t like them
DISCLAIMER: Thanks to Lurpak for providing me with the butter and the baking tin to make this recipe. And of course, for inviting me to be a Friend of Lurpak.