They are insanely healthy for you [maybe a bit less so with the addition of butter - never margarine] which as far as I'm concerned is just a huge bonus!
|Marinated mushies, with lemon and thyme|
What you need:
400g teeny tiny baby button mushrooms [the smaller the better]
1/4 cup good olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice [or white wine vinegar - I love LiraH vinegars, but had run out]
1 large clove of garlic, peeled and chopped finely
1/2 tsp salt [I like the Maldon seasalt or the pink Murray salt flakes for this]
freshly ground black pepper
2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
4-5 stalks of Italian parsley, leaves only
zest of 1 lemon
whole chilli [cut into big chunks, seeded if you don't like it too hot, optional]
|All squashed into one of mum's beautiful old preserving jars.|
- Give the mushrooms a good wipe or a quick wash to get rid of any dirt and grit.
- Pop the mushrooms into a glass jar with a lid - squash them all in if you need to!
- In a measuring cup [or a small bowl with a lip], mix together all the other ingredients. Taste and add extra lemon, salt, pepper if needed.
- Pour over the mushrooms in the jar. Pop the lid on and swirl the jar around until the mushrooms are all coated in the mix.
|Tipping these upside down wasn't my smartest move as the lid wasn't sealed!|
- Leave on the bench to marinate for at least 24 hours. Give the jar a good swirl every few hours or when you walk past.
- After 24 hours the liquid will start to come out of the mushrooms, adding to the marinade. After about 36 hours your mushrooms will have shrunk. Pop it all in the fridge and eat as desired!
|This is after about 36 hours - see how much the liquid has increased?|